Saturday, September 14, 2013

FIFA 14 Demo Impressions


The FIFA 14 Demo has been available for download since 9/10. As a fan for the series I was a bit reluctant to download the demo as I had only planned to play the game on odd years (11, 13…15) but something about the hype of next gen console games attracted me to still try it out. A few eye catching updates in the features also got my attention.

The first thing I noticed when playing the demo was the feel of the game seemed a bit different. The overall physics during gameplay felt more fluid not only how the ball moves but the player movements as well. Compared to FIFA 13 I felt that the player and ball movements were a bit magnetic as if certain things were still stuck in animations and if you were able to trigger an action there wouldnt be much you could do to stop it (but this is only a demo). This alone makes me curious on how different the gameplay experience will be on a next gen console (I mentioned this about Madden 25) but I am not getting my hopes up. I was surprised on how better players move with the ball at their feet and that some of the dribbling animations and players movements were smarter and sharper (the keeper might still be a complete idiot). Could EA have created the type of FIFA we have been waiting for? Here are some other features in FIFA 14.

Gameplay – Precision movement and “real” ball physics were noticeable improvements in the demo. The “pure shot” isn’t something that I noticed because a well hit ball or not you still have to aim where you are shooting. Teammate Intelligence and protect the ball were two other noticeable improvements, it was great to see how better the jockeying for the ball is which also players to dictate tempo and change the way you go into challenges. Increased intelligence is yet to be see (“Did EA finally give the Keeper a not retarded button?” – KSI).

All – New Celebrations – The Gangnam Style is a celebration, enough said (check on the EA Sports link on the Gaming1Hunnit Facebook page for more).

FIFA Ultimate Team – A new chemistry style system has been added to the game mode which will affect player attributes. This will have a bigger impact on your team’s performance. Now you will be able to customize your kit numbers and set piece takers among other things. Season mode has been expanded along with single matches. A cleaner transfer market system claims to be much easier to find players you are looking for. There is a new thing call player loyalty that affects chemistry as well.

Co-op Seasons – Yes, that’s right 2v2 online seasons mode.

Match Day – The Match Day forms will affect players in Seasons and Co-op seasons. I am not sure if I like this because I doubt it will stop people from cheesing with the same teams (i.e. Real Madrid).

Career Mode – New scouting features for scouting players to find the right fit for your squad to be successful via the Global Scouting Network sounds interesting. A few other tweaks make it seems that you have more options on how you run your team as a manager with easier menus.

An early review of this game after playing the demo gets a thumb up from me. Fans of the series will certainly enjoy the new features in this game when it comes out later this month. I know I will be getting a copy. Happy Gaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment